Sunday, January 23, 2011

Featured Speaker: Aaron Dorsey

It has definitely been awhile since my last post. After my aunt passed away, I kind of lost interest in doing genealogy. She was my genealogy buddy who I could share my challenges and successes with - no matter how big or small. For the past few months, I have been slowly getting back my passion for genealogy.

My aunt always felt that I needed to share my knowledge and skills of conducting slave era research since I have been somewhat successful.  In addition, my good friend Robyn at Reclaiming Kin, has been encouraging me to start presenting at local and national meetings for over a year now. So yesterday, January 22, 2011, I
took the plunge and conducted my first professional genealogy presentation on Slave Era Research at the bi-monthly meeting of the Central Maryland Chapter of the African American Historical & Genealogical Society in Columbia, Maryland. 
 Over fifty people, from novice to advance researchers, were in attendance for the 90 minute session.  Despite the fact that the subject matter is advance African American research, I was able to provide information and strategies for everyone. My friend, Angela Walton-Raji at My Ancestor’s Name, has provided an excellent summary of my presentation including a 90 second video of me discussing several books.
The session was well received by all who attended. And all I can say is what a great way to start off the New Year. I cannot wait until my next presentation.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about your loss,so glad you have been inspired to start the slave era research classes. I saw Angela's video on youtube and did not know it was you! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete